10.31.2011

halloweenie


happy halloween everyone! i obviously dressed up as a totally awesome street walker... wait... thats not right... to tell you the truth i've always pretty much sucked it at the whole halloween costume thing. as a matter of fact, someone asked me what i was going to be this year and i said "a ghost..." a ghost!?!? i mean, how lame can you get?!

we have been having the most beautiful weather here in galveston! after a bit of rain it finally cooled down just a smidgen to make it a bit more comfortable. that being said, i had a really hard time wrapping my head around the fact that my family in the northeast just got snowed on! snow?! in october? as homesick as i get sometimes, i will never, ever miss winter. good riddance!


these are my clovers from colette patterns. as i mentioned in this post, i wanted to make my clovers to resemble these jeans from madewell. the amount of adjustments i made to the pattern were quite heavy. i spent about one weekend just slicing and dicing up the pattern, first to get an idea of fit, and then again to turn them into the denim trousers you see before you. i made three muslins for these pants because i wanted to get the fit just so. i have to say that as far as pants patterns go, these were a dream to make, and even a dream to adjust. in the end, i'm pretty happy with the result and will definitely be making these bad boys (or some version) again.


the top is rachel comey for vogue patterns (v1247). so... um.. i'm kinda a die hard rachel comey fan. like, i'd totally rock a foam finger for her. i once tried on one of her dresses and almost convinced myself that $800 was a reasonable amount to pay for a dress, for no occasion. i luckily had enough stamina to walk out of the store, telling myself that i should think it over, and it will be there tomorrow. i think i suffered under some delusion that i could actually afford the dress until i made it home. to my hovel. then i gave myself a good hard slap.

so you can imagine that i damn near fell out of my chair and had a litter of kittens right there on the spot when i saw that rachel comey did a small line of patterns for vogue. diy rachel comey??!??! be still my foolish heart! i snatched those babies up like i was a professional snatcher. a pattern snatcher, that is.

this top was not without its peculiarities. the whole bottom is pieced together and cut on the bias. frankly i've never been great with working on the bias. however i let this little dude hang out over night and fortunately i seemed to avoid some of the craziness (an entirely twisted dress) that has happened to me in the past. i wanted to make this top out of a silk print, but wouldn't you know, unless you're a crazy hologram clown, they don't really make silk prints for you. i will spare you my rant on the ugliness of the fabric prints that are available to me. okay just a small rant... who is buying all this florescent paisley??!?!? who, dammit?!

so i decided to stick with a basic ivory silk crepe de chine and let the lines do the talking...

my wonderful husband took these photos for me today. which means several things... first, i'm way more smiley than i am on my own. second, i get shy rocking my top model poses (you know what i mean...) and third, i get some amazing shots like this one...


oh! and thats two more for the fall palette challenge. that brings my total up to... 4. good thing it doesn't look like fall is coming anytime soon...

xx

29 comments:

  1. I cannot describe how beautiful these look on you! You covet the patterns... I'll just covet the way they turn out. As a non sewer reader, I am blown away at the clean lines and elegant simplicity of these pieces. Brava! So wish I could just buy a pair of my own! Ps. Loved the shoes! Who are they?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a perfect outfit! Plus I did an internal happy dance because I have both these patterns in my stash ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a life-long non-sewer (2 hyphonated words in one sentence? Is that allowed?) I am amazed and jealous of your beautiful results with the perfect fit! I always told myself that I wasn't missing anything because home made clothes always look home made so I was better off with my unflattering fit from store bought clothes. How wrong I've been! Beautiful outfit...love reading your entertaining writing as always

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful! Both pieces look fantastic on you and I love your styling. I really want to make a pair of Clovers but I think I'll have to wait until January before I find the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did an awesome job! Look just like the inspiration pants too. I hope I'm so lucky when I finally work on my clovers.

    Your rachel comey in white makes me think twice about that Vogue pattern, wasn't liking the print they used and the gyno-short skirt, but now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg, those are two amazing pieces. The pants fit perfectly and the shirt is beautiful. Love your styling, too.

    I'm going to get started on my Clover's any day now. It seems that three is the magic number as far as muslins go. Yeesh. It's obviously completely worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how your pants turned out! :D They do look exactly like the inspiration pic too. I've been considering the Clovers myself only I am dubious because...they're pants!. I sew for a living but I've never made women's pants. It's silly.

    The cooler weather is lovely, isn't it? I was ready for the boiling weather to be over.

    --Emma from the island

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your version looks sooo good! I really, really wanted to start sewing these pants but I was't in the mood for figuring out all the adjustments so I just made a Jasmine blouse from Colette patterns instead. But seeing this I guess I just need to start making that muslin for the Clover....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy cow, saw your Clovers on the Colette blog and had to run over here to tell you how fab they are! They're beautiful and a perfect fit! Great job! I'm jammed up making bridesmaid dresses right now, but I can't WAIT to start muslining these! You're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those jeans look awesome! Great fit, great color!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely love everything about this outfit. You especially did a fantastic job on the Clovers! Did you use any sort of fitting/alteration book for the alterations? Have you made pants before?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Ashley! I did all my fitting using the posts on the Coletterie. It was super helpful. I'm thinking about putting together a little "how to" post on converting these pants to a front fly pattern if people are interested. And I made a pair of pants once before that was an absolute disaster! So this is my first successful pair of pants!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! The jeans turned out so well, and I love the top in a simple white!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Saw you over on Coletterie. Love your clovers, especially with the shoes and blouse!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm am a super Rachel Comey fan as well, and I am so glad to see your top turned out so well! I have been debating doing one of her patterns, but this has definitely inspired me to actually do it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I came over from the Coletterie to check out more details on your Clovers. I love them, and see you added some trouser details, which makes me like them just a bit better. I was also hoping you had made your top, and wrote about it...yeah! I love prints, but honestly I think it stands out in the solid white. Makes me want to buy the pattern now, when it didn't stand out to me before.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh, yes! I saw your comment above about instructions for the fly front. I vote a big YES.

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a fabulous choice you made on that v1247, which together with the clovers just makes for a stunning look. (i, um, made mine in a silk print...but it isn't purple paisley, i swear!)

    thanks for sharing your link with coletterie--i'm so glad to have seen both of your versions!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I came here via the colleterie blog to look at your clovers ( which are fab), but I have to say your top is beautiful. great sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great job on the clovers. And what an inspiration your blouse is. I connected from the Collette site with the thought "I hope this is about the blouse." It's really beautiful. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Vogue was having a pattern sale and I went bananas and bought this blouse pattern after seeing it here. I'm going to make the included mini skirt pattern for my sister for Christmas and knock the blouse out in this beautiful patterned sheer I found the other day. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful outfit and an inspired use of a plain fabric for the top to really show off the lines of the V1247 Rachel Comey design. It looks much better than in print fabric, really. I see it fits pretty well on you and wondered how you found the sizing. I hear it comes up really roomy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. thanks for all the great comments everyone! i appreciate every last one of them.
    @ crystal - i DO plan on doing that tutorial... hopefully I'll get it up this month :)
    @ bibliophile - as far as the sizing for v1247 - i looked at the measurements for the finished garment that vogue prints on the patterns and determined that the smallest size would be more than big enough for me. its supposed to be a roomy top - but i feel like most people would be comfortable making the smallest size.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This top is TO DIE FOR. Especially well paired with that necklace. I think you were totally on the mark going for a plain colour fabric, I've seen this top made up in a print and the details were all lost. Your version, however, is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am totally inspired by this whole outfit. I was even going to ask about what size shirt you cut but you already answered that so thanks. I'm seriously tempted to completely copy this look. I wasn't even very interested in that pattern until I saw it in white!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello!  Very nice job on the V-1247!  My name is Valery from the McCall Pattern Company in NYC.  Hope you are well.  We would love to post your photos on our Vogue Facebook page, fb.voguepatterns.com  with your permission of course!  In turn, we will post a link to your blog!  Let me know at your convenience via my email address at valeryp.mccallpatterncom  Have a great week!

    VP

    ReplyDelete
  27. The fluoro paisley is bought by grandmas on acid (their choice of 60s drugs slowly went out of fashion so they had to do what they could to stay 'relevant'). Best to stay out of their way when they're on the (fabric) warpath. I speak from personal experience..  

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ha!! Its so true! I too have strayed across the path of an acid tripping grandma in my day...

    Too true about the clovers... the fit adjustments were - well - extensive. I think I'll give that pattern a break for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've been toying with the idea of buying this pattern. I am now SOLD. Looks grogeous in white!!

    ReplyDelete