1.09.2013

because, i mean, why not?


Yes, yes, yes, I know that we are now a full week into 2013 and all this New Years Reflection bullshit is soooooo last week... but what can I say? I'm a chronically late person? Or just slow? Ah well, better late than never I say!

There is actually quite a lot that I am proud of in 2012, and I'd like to take a second to recognize a few of the good things that have come my way in the past year, sewing related and non. After all, New Year's is the time for self-reflection, even if the time for reflection is reaching the end of its shelf-life and starting to stink up the fridge...

Let's start with some life reflections, shall we??

Almost exactly a year ago I began working at a new job here in Galveston, TX. This has made a huge difference in my life. One of the reasons I've been so slow about writing a post about my job is that it is actually kind of difficult to explain what I do. The relatively straight-forward explanation is that I am the program manager for a small art non-profit here on the island. We are a fully funded artist residency and we also have a small project/gallery space, which I am in charge of along with the director. In fact, the director and I are in charge of everything, because we are the only employees (the director is also the co-founder) so basically we run a very small, but ambitious operation.  I'm incredibly grateful that I get to work in an extremely creative environment, with someone I enjoy, and that my work is varied and meaningful to me. I've worked a lot of terrible jobs in my time (that stint as a secretary at a tax firm was a particularly low point...no offense to secretaries, or tax accountants, and, besides, I'm pretty sure the feeling was mutual...) so I'm particularly grateful that I am actually challenged and excited by my work, rather than feeling like I'm just slogging through the week in order to get to the weekend. As I said, the difference it has made in my personal life throughout the last year is huge.

This past August my husband and I moved house, yet again. This time just to a different neighborhood, same city, but it still marks the 4th time I've moved in the last 6 years (since my undergrad) never staying anywhere for more than two years. I really sort of love Galveston in all of it's weirdness and I'm happy to be staying here for the foreseeable future. Our new place is spacious and wacky and charming and ugly all at the same time, and Nick and I have been having a good time making it feel like home, even on a shoestring budget.

Which leads me to - Nick! I could write a novel here, or say nothing at all. I'll try not to be toooo sappy (for his sake). He's really my backbone, the one who's holding this bag of tricks together. We've been married every single day of 2012 (our first FULL year of marriage! Yay!) and it's our relationship, more than anything else, more than the job, or sewing, or the blog, that has made me feel so very grateful for this full and loving life I get to live. 

Now are you ready for some good sewing/blogging reflections? I feel like I can be a bit more succinct with these...(ppfftt!!! Who am I kidding??)

As I was putting together the images for this post I had a lot of fun thinking about how sewing has changed my life, like really had a major impact on my life in a very real way.

- I buy way less and am a far more discerning consumer when I do. 

- Looking at the images above I really like how you can see my own personal style begin to develop and become stronger.  I feel like through sewing I've been able to really focus on clothes that make me feel good, that help me to feel like my absolute best version of myself. This is something I hope to really continue to nurture in 2013.  

- This is kind of piggybacking on the previous thought, but I feel like making my own clothes has really helped me conquer some body-image issues I've had in the past. I always hesitate to talk about this because it is so personal (ppfft!! This is already an insanely personal post!) but it's also something that I feel very strongly about. Oddly enough, since I began sewing my wardrobe I've become far less critical of myself physically and I feel more at home in my own skin than I've ever been. You could certainly chalk this up to getting older, or being in a loving, stable, healthy relationship - but I really suspect sewing has had a hand in this (as well). 

- I feel like this past year I conquered a few of my goals for sewing. I tried with all my might to sew a hard-working, practical wardrobe, and all in all, out of 21 (really 22 but I haven't got around to posting the last make of 2012...woops) garments made I really feel like the majority of them get a fair amount of rotation in my wardrobe. The all star, of course, is my jeans. Those babies get worn at least 5 days out of the week. I'm wearing them right now. I wear them all the time. So much, in fact, that I believe I need to make a new pair in 2013. I also began experimenting with dyeing and handpainting my own fabric, which was a long time goal of mine. I enjoy adding that extra personal touch to my clothing, and I hope I can find a way to improve on my methods in the upcoming year.  I'm also proud that, really, looking at all those clothes up there, all of them are wearable, finished beautifully on both the inside and out, very few corners were cut, and most have stood up to repeated washings and wearings. Way to go, handmade wardrobe. Way. To. Go.

- 2012 is the first full year that my blog has been a big part of my life. I sort of started it half-heartedly back in 2010 (I think...?) not really sure what I wanted it to be and eventually I gave it up.  Once I became more engrossed in sewing it just became natural for me to want to share it and connect with a community and so I started up the blog fresh in the fall of 2011, decidedly more sewing-centric. I know everyone says this, but I am just so amazed by all the wonderful people I've been able to connect with over the past year.  Many of you I care about just as much as any of my friends that I get to see in the flesh, and I sincerely hope that our paths will cross in 2013! (Oh how I'd love a blogger meetup!!!) So to all of you, dear readers, I don't say it enough, but thank you thank you thank you! I'm so grateful to have discovered your blogs, shared in your stories, oohed and ahhed over your beautiful creations, and connected with people who share my same passion. 

You guys, I'm feeling a bit mushy!! I wanted to list out some real hard practical goals for 2013, but I seemed to get lost in all my reflections! No matter how old and moldy they might be! And I think this post is long enough for today. Congratulations if you made it all the way to the end. Your medal is in the mail (just kidding). 

Thank you again for a great year, and here's to 2013!! Woot! Woot! Can't wait to see what you all have in store. 

All my love,

Sallie







35 comments:

  1. I'll take any blog post you want to write! Late or otherwise ;D
    These are awesome reflections. I think, along with sewing and blogging, getting closer to my husband and children and the blogging community were my saving grace in 2012. I am soooo there with you.



    You made some great pieces! Particularly those jeans and the extremely kick ass red suit!! Those are on my last of makes for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a total inspiration, so thank you! I have been quietly watching since the jeans were revealed and I have to say that I have loved reading every word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only been to Galveston once, but I loved, loved, loved it. We lived near Austin and always hoped to get back, but moved out of state. I though it would be a wonderful, eclectic place to live....except in hurricane season. I enjoy your blog. Keep up the lovely sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well firstly, congratulations on a first full year of marriage! I'd really love to come down and visit and see what y'all are doing. We started a non-profit artist-in-residency in Austin. It had 5 wonderful intensely creative years and it ended last year. It was fun to *meet* you and your blog this year. I'm always inspired by your thoughts and creative depth. Here's to a blooming year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I first saw your awesome creations during Me-Made-March this year and I was totally blown away! I like your use of color, prints and interesting silhouettes. Happy 2013 :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have great style, simple, classic but not boring :) Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for 2013.

    Your job sounds really interesting. Finding something that you enjoy doing for work is a hard thing for most people, I'm so pleased I love my job and am inspired about what I do every day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have made so many lovely things this year and I think the whole online sewing community swoons together every time you post something new. Enjoyed your reflective post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous post, sallieoh! Would love to visit your part of the world one day and I am so looking forward to seeing more of your beautiful work this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i enjoyed your post! congrats on getting a job you love! you are the envy of all. :) your clothes are inspiring and you have great style!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've achieved two things I've always told you guys were the most important in life: find a job doing something you love and it never feels like work AND having a loving stable relationship makes all the slings and arrows of life bearable. It's been an answer to a moms prayers seeing you have both. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a great post!! It is always interesting to learn more about my favorite bloggers and to get a sense of the role sewing plays in your life and what's to come. I am excited to see the fabric dying and hand-painting goes. I can really relate to the topics in your reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love this post. your blog is one of my absolute favorites. i admire your style and ease. i hope to be more like you. Can't wait for more in 2013. Perhaps you need a trip to NYC?

    ReplyDelete
  13. asewingodyssey.blogspot.co.ukJanuary 10, 2013 at 6:29 AM

    What a wonderful sewing year you've had, I'm such a big fan of your cool sense of style. And it sounds like 2012 was great on the personal front too, so I hope 2013 brings loads more of that. I look forward to your 2013 adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My sweet Sallie: I'm so happy you had a great year, Your sewing projects blew the top off of my brain time and time again and I can't wait to see what that little gem of a brain of yours gets up to in 2013. I wanted to recap last year too but my whole life has been hijacked this month by loss of technology and home changes but suffice to say, I agree with you wholeheartedly on all of your observations on how sewing has affected your life. And unfortunately, I don't think this is our year for meeting up unless you and Nick want to come hang out in Montreal this summer in my new huge apartment? The southern roadtrip I was planning has turned into me and my mom going to San Francisco/Sonoma County in May to go on wine tours and drive along the coastal highway singing Joni Mitchell. Can you forgive me?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful. Here's to another grand year. Welcome 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely post, late or not (who cares)! I totally agree with you about all the ways that sewing can change your life, including/especially the body image part. If I can have pants that fit, it goes a long way towards convincing me that my body is just fine.
    Happy 2013, lots of good wishes for more great adventures in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great first post! A mixture of personal stuff (you didn't get too personal) and sewing.


    Twenty two garments! Like whoa! That's two garments a month Sallie! Pat yourself on the back for that one. I couldn't agree more that your golden star was your jeans and you want to know the reason why I think they were so successful? Because you made many of them and with each one, you got better and better (that's how I feel in my own bra making adventures).


    I'm glad you and I 'met' on the blogosphere. It doesn't sound korny to say and type, but I'm grateful for all the 'Internet' friends I have made this year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love reading your blog Sallie, so thanks for writing it! :)
    You are a sewing inspiration. I can see your personal style and confidence coming through your projects, and I want to be like you. I mean, I want to sew more clothes that reflect my personal taste and are practical.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your garments in 2012 have been so inspiring and I have no doubt that 2013 will be the same! xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like your long post! i read it till the end%)))

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'd love to know more about your job. It sounds kick*ss. All of your creations were huge successes in my eyes. I think you have the coolest sense of style. And I'd love to see more dyeing and painting. Wishing you an awesome 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, man, I love seeing your 2012 makes all together! They're just so amazing! I love your style and your blog and oh, wow, can't we just be best friends and get coffee all the time and maybe get matching tattoos and join an all-lady bowling league together? Wait, you're not interested in that? Annnnyways, can't wait to see what you make this year! I'm so glad that sewing/work/marriage have been so fulfilling for you! Here's hoping that 2013 tops 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Of just about any sewing blog out there, and I read a lot of them and love them all, I feel like the items you make are the types of things I aspire to make. You have such great style and you seem like a very thoughtful seamstress. Anyway, I'm a big fan and can't wait to see what you cook up for '13!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've really enjoyed following your sewing creations over the past year, and I can definitely say you're one of my biggest blogging inspirations :) I can't wait to see what you make in 2013!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. oh how i envy you on your job :) the one that inspires you to get up in the morning.. hope to create similar job for myself, in this year.. i also sort of envy you for all the house moves.. i love to move, i would do it every year if i can :) all the changes and new surroundings and home decoration always keep me busy and excited.. i do move a lot, but not for real, i'm just juggling in between different family homes and jobs

    ReplyDelete
  26. you've definitely made some stunners in '12!! i love how you said that sewing has helped in the body image department. i think it has for me, too. not that i've ever been a super self hater but there's been times when i'd try on clothes at a store and go - what is wrong here? before i would think my body was oddly shaped and now i realize it's the clothes, not me. there's nothing wrong with me and i can make clothes that make me look good even if some store bought dress doesn't. it's quite empowering. :) oh, and if you're ever in austin again hit me up!

    ReplyDelete
  27. So much gorgeous-ness. I've totally loved reading your blog over this last year and a bit - I always get a bit excited when a new post from you comes up! Screw the practical goals. Sew what you like. Can't wait for what 2013 brings :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'll jump on the bandwagon and say I too love reading your blog! Have been following on bloglovin since I found you. Your comment about liking your body more since you started sewing really hit home with me. I feel the same. There are still things about it I want to change, but knowing how to make garments that I feel flatter what I've got really helps the self-esteem. Nail on the head there m'dear. Keep going! We'll keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a sweet post! Your happiness really shows in your posts of 2012, except in the one about the foot, but you saw that through with good humour! Can't remember how I found your blog but I'm so glad I did. I jumped on this sewing blogging bandwagon around May and I wanted to read about all your makes as your style and photography is so inspiring. The sunshine hit you provide is really needed in wintry scotland! Hard to believe you have had any body issues but its truly wonderful that sewing has kicked them rightly up the behind. You rock your style so well! Wishing you a wonderful 2013 x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sal, I've said it before and I'll say it again. You are so inspiring! I've so enjoyed following your 2012 sewing adventures... you can tell a lot of thought has been put into pairing fabric and patterns. Happy New year, can't wait to see what you make this year!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's (almost) never too late for a year end wrap-up. Way to go on making so many things in a year, and such lovely ones too! I always feel inspired to see your posts, though I don't get much chance to sew for myself anymore. Maybe I'll try this year.

    And also, wow, I work a block away from the only artist residency I know of as existing in Galveston. Now I totally don't mean that in a weirdo stalker sense, just in a that's amusingly bizarre sense. We're probably walking right past each other in the street in the morning or something, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm always so inspired by your makes, Sallie, and I am especially inspired by the fact you have a definite sense of personal style. Learning to sew is only the first part of the journey, and I'm getting there, but it's people like you who inspire me to believe and hope I may find my personal style in the process :) Lots of love and happiness for 2013!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Drooling over the red suit you made! And those jeans are amazing! All the best for 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh gosh! That's too funny! Yes, there is only one artist residency here, and I'm there just about every day, and walking all around it - we probably pass each other all the time! Too funny and bizarre!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I believe you did awesome decision when you picked out this theme of this blog article. Do you mostly write your blog entries all by yourself or you have a business partner or a helper?

    ReplyDelete