5.10.2013

summer linen

DSC_0019

Wow. Where did I go?

So sorry for disappearing on you guys like that! Unfortunately I don't have a really great reason for it, just, ya know, the usual... Life got super hectic this spring and there was just no time for sewing! And when there's no time for sewing, well, what is there to say on this here blog-o-log? Unless you wanted to hear about how busy and tired I was, how I had no time to sew, and how my couch and Girls became my new besties... Which, lets be honest, I don't think you do! So let's just forget about those dark, dark days and chat about some recent makes, eh?

DSC_0027DSC_0021

Meet my new summer uniform! What is it about this time of year that always makes me gravitate towards blue and white? Is it something subliminal? Can I blame Pinterest? (I love to blame Pinterest) well whatever it is, here I am, once again, decked out in blue and white.

I made the shorts last year, but the shirt is a new make, a Grainline Archer. What seems like, oh, eons ago now, the lovely Nettie sent me this pattern basically on a whim (have I mentioned how much I love our corner of the Internet? Seriously you guys, you're just the best) it was such a lovely surprise. Like everyone else I fell in love with Archer upon first sight, and literally kicked myself for buying the McCall's pattern I used for my polka dot shirt. I wasn't sure I could justify two button-up shirt patterns in my "carefully curated" pattern stash (read: broke and stingy). However, after making both shirts now, I can safely say that they differ pretty greatly, and I think they've both earned their distinct places in my pattern drawer.

DSC_0041DSC_0040

To me, the Archer is the ultimate "boyfriend" shirt. It's roomy, and comfortable, but with just enough feminine touches that you don't feel like you're drowning in it, or, you know, like you actually raided a man's closet. I love the subtle details on this shirt: the angled cuffs, the petite collar, the slim button bands... They feel very current and modern to me. The McCall's shirt has a much more "lady-like" vibe with it's bust and back darts.

This is actually the second Grainline pattern that I made this spring (I'll reveal the first later - yeah, we're a little out of order here, just bear with me...) and I have to say, I'm really really impressed. As someone who mostly sews with Big Four patterns I've generally come to expect that level of quality and fit from my patterns.  But Jen's patterns prove that there is an art to pattern drafting.  Her designs are classic and oh-so wearable, but with these misleadingly simple nuances that make them a cut above. I think I remember Sonja once saying that Jen's patterns are "beautifully drafted" - and I just can't put it better myself.

DSC_0038DSC_0037

I made my Archer in a straight size 4 (for once all my measurements were in one column!! I'm telling ya... it's true love...) trusting that the ease would be just enough for it to be roomy, but not sloppy.  I did add 1 1/2 inches to the length because I liked how long the McCall's shirt was on me and wanted the Archer to have the same booty-cloaking ability. Sewing it up was pretty easy-breezy-lemon-squeezy with the help of Jen's awesome sew-along posts, which were just so chock full of awesome tips and tricks for sewing shirts (like that ninja-like move you make with the front of the collar stand and facing... any one know what I'm talking about?)  The fabric is a linen from Mood that was described as having a "chambray-look" - and, well, who doesn't love chambray? And a chambray-look-linen = perfect for summer! Also perfect for looking cooly disheveled (right? right??) with all the wrinkly glory that's going on. You will note I did not deign to iron the shirt for you after a day of wearing at work... because that would take away some of the cool... obviously...

DSC_0024

Overall I'm really happy with how the shirt turned out. There was minimal cursing involved during it's construction (always a good sign) and while my topstitching may not be the thing sewing wet-dreams are made of, it still is pretty darn passable! Not to mentions almost completely invisible due to the white warp threads (as opposed to weft - not like... of the time-warping variety... that would be weird!) in my fabric...

Now I just need to get my blogging act together and show the rest of the stuff I've been hiding from you! I've got a couple of beauties up my sleeve...

xx

32 comments:

  1. What a perfect warm weather shirt. Great work, Sallie! It looks beautiful. I love that the fabric is linen yet it looks a bit like chambray. You have single-handedly made me want one. Right now. I'll have to start planning then.

    And... don't think that the fact that you are all decked out in me-made clothes and totally in tune with Me Made May went unnoticed. Because it did not. If fact that was the first thing I noticed.

    I look forward to seeing all of your other creations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, i was wondering where the hell are you :) love your new summer uniform!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to see you back, and with a gorgeous new creation to boot! How fabulous is linen? Especially textured-looking loveliness like this. I've yet to see or hear about a bad archer - and from the grainline patterns I've made to date - I know why. She really does do a wonderful job :) And its a wonderful match with your shorts :) Looking wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hot stuff! This makes me want to dump my current make and get on the Archer wagon even more!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shirt! i'm so impressed that i have popped over to Grainline and just got one for myself (I have had my eye on it for some time. I have Colette's Negroni, but really was after a more classic style shirt, made casual, so i think this is just the ticket!). Always nice to see your end results.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um ... gorgeous! I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i've been dying to make a chambray version! and linen-chambray? swoon. love your shirt! i think this is one pattern (and pattern company, for that matter) that definitely deserves the love it's been getting 'round the blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful shirt, especially paired with those cute shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cutest outfit ever, can I steal it? Pretty please? Thanks for all the kind words on the pattern, that one was a LOT of work to put together, ha! I have 7 Archers now and plans for more, what is wrong with me?! Talk about selfish patternmaking...

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely shirt, perfect for rockin that effortless vibe during the summer months and
    I really like the look of the material too. I could do with one of these in my wardrobe :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this fabric...it looks amazing. As does your shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely to see you back. I was hoping you'd be back soon with some summer outfits! This shirt is gorgeous and I haven't seen a linen chambray like this before - will need to keep a look out for some in London!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome back! I love your shirt! The more I see of Archers, the more I want this pattern but I have a huge queue ahead of it, and I've never made a shirt so am quite scared of cuffs and collar stands... I am really coveting a chambray version now anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay, you're back! The internet is really not as much fun without you! Your Archer turned out rad! I've been e-stalking that Mood fabric, thinking, just as you did, that it sounds perfect for summer, and then here you come to prove it. I have that McCall's pattern as well... and the Built By Wendy button down from Sew U... but I'm hearing none of this matters; the Archer is the ultimate boyfriend shirt, she says! Your name is trouble. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. yes indeedy that there is a great shirt & so perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I feel like the only one who hasn't made an Archer yet and I NEED to. I live in button up shirts for the most part. Even sleep in them sometimes. Soooo I really, really, need to make one for myself. Yours is beautiful as per usual, just like everything you've ever made ever.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it!! So glad that you find it a great addition to your collection!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. nice! that'll be a shirt you will live in all summer long. i need to get off my bum and finish mine...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Prettier than any chambray shirt I ever saw!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Please stop hiding your makes from us Sallie...I love seeing them so much! This is such a lovely shirt and definitely very different to the McCall's. I couldn't pick a favourite between them, but you certainly look every bit the cool beach/summer babe in this breezy ensemble! http://asewingodyssey.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Chambray linen? This is truly a wonder fabric. Beautifully made!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is GORGEOUS! I love it! What a perfect fabric choice! I just finished mine today (except for the buttons and buttonholes... I can't decide what to use!), and it really is a great pattern. Sometimes I feel like Jen designs things just for me-- her patterns are always exactly what I want to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOVE the fabric!! Looks so great

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful shirt! The fabric is so pretty. Your outfit looks like the perfect summer uniform, for sure. It looks comfortable and cool, while also being cute and sophisticated. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOVE this Archer! Seriously, it looks like it's straight outta the Madewell catalog. Flawless work!

    I have a denim/chambray obsession and did NOT need to know about this linen... but I know my future (penniless) self thanks you for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  26. THOSE. GAMS. BE. BALLIN. Ahem. I was distracted by your tan colt legs. Yes, the archer. It really is a thing of perfection. That McCalls seems to kind of suck balls in comparison. And linen. I'm a new convert to linen (gotta get over the wrinklin') but is there anything better than linen in a chambray colour for spring? NO. FUCK NO. Please excuse my emphatic vulgarity. I'm on a farm in Sonoma and mom and I just annihilated a few bottles of vino. I bought some striped linen today on the epic SF fabric binge I went on and it will be my very first time.... Anyway. So happy you're back. I'm worried my thing is not at all "beautifully drafted" but... hopefully it will be workable. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your Archer shirt! It looks so comfy. I really need to finish mine asap! I got distracted by other projects

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love it!! That fabric is amazing!!!! I want it, bad!! So summer time cool. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Awesome linen blouse, and looks great with your ikat shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looove it. That's a great fabric and pattern pairing. And those shorts! I'm making ikat shorts this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love this shirt! I'm trying my hand at the archer as well so it's nice to read that the pattern worked well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your shirt looks great, and you look lovely in it. I really like your choice of fabric. Found your blog while researching pics of the Archer shirt. The pockets look too big on some of the other ones I've seen online, but maybe it was just their fabric choices that made them stand out so much, because yours don't look so huge. Think I'll have to make myself one now. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete