1.17.2015

reflections of...

2014review

Here it is you guys! The good ol' year in review post! More than a little bit fashionably late, but what are you gonna do? That's just my style...

I haven't done one of these posts in a few years because it just didn't feel right (read: I procrastinated writing it for so long that it felt a bit odd to post it in... say... March). But I always sort of regret it. I think writing out your thoughts on past achievements and stating your goals for the future is a really great thing to do every now and again.  And the start of a new year seems as good of a time to do it as any. So without further ado, let's get this rambling post started!

Warning: I didn't really organize my thoughts too much before writing this, so be prepared for a whole mish mash of thoughts on the personal and practical, sewing and 'real life', and everything in between.

Sewing

Mood Fabrics wool and leather coat

One of the biggest changes for me in the past year, and really since I began sewing and blogging (a little over 4 years ago if you can believe that!) was becoming part of the Mood Sewing Network this past year.  Having Mood sponsor my blog has been a huge deal for me, in a very real, practical way. On a highly personal note, making money is not something that my husband and I excel at. We live very very frugally and as many of you know, sewing is not a cheap hobby (although I do believe it is a much more economical solution to clothing consumption than my previous shopping habits, but that is a conversation for another day). That being said, there have been many times throughout the past year that I've been immensely grateful for that monthly Mood fabric allowance.  Without it, I'm not sure I'd have been able to continue sewing. Or at least not with any sort of frequency.  And without sewing, I'd have no creative outlet. And without a creative outlet... I implode. And besides that, I have loved getting to try out fabrics that I would normally shy away from.  There have been so many truly kooky fabrics that have crossed my path this year, and it's made sewing a real joy.

DSC_0014

A few makes I am still extremely proud of are my wool and leather coat, and Nick's selvedge denim jeans. I'm still shocked by how much use I've gotten out of the Nettie bodysuit pattern (see here, here, here AND here!) and wearing this dress makes me endlessly happy.

Going forward, I'd really like to aim for two makes a month. This was my goal last year and I almost made it (22 makes total)! But I'd like to keep my sewing directed as well. It's so important to me that what I make gets worn on a weekly basis. The whole point of all of this is to make getting dressed as effortless as possible. So with that in mind, a few holes I've discovered in my wardrobe are loungewear, workout clothes, and weekend wear. Basically the boring stuff! So keep an eye on THIS space (she says sarcastically).

Mood Fabrics Geometric Embroidered Linen Skirt

Blogging

Oh blogging. First, let me say that I love my blog, and I love to blog. BUT! I always feel like a terrible blogger.  2014 was no exception.  Even though the Mood Sewing Network kept me blogging regularly at least once a month, I still always felt like I should be doing more.  It can get a bit difficult to be a part of a blogging community, even one as kind and compassionate as the sewing blogging community, and not fall into the trap of comparing yourself to everyone around you. It's something I feel like I have to be very mindful of.  Does anyone else feel like this? Please share if you do, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

This upcoming year I'm going to work on going easier on myself. Thankfully (and luckily for ya'll) most of my 'bad blogger' berating goes on behind the scenes, but I still catch myself apologizing for prolonged absences and making self-deprecating jokes about what a bad blogger I am, and I think it's time for this to stop. I think we can all agree that blogging should be enjoyable, no matter which way you choose to do it, and not yet another source of bad feelings for not measuring up in our lives! And since I'm fairly certain that these 'bad blogger' feelings are totally self derived, than it's really up to me to change my attitude. I want to have a long, healthy relationship with my blog, after all.

DSC_0003

This past year I gave my blog a little facelift. Actually, "facelift" is still probably too dramatic of a word for what I did... Really I sent my blog to the salon for a fresh cut and color and maybe a little makeup demo.  This was perhaps not the total site overhaul I would love to do one day, but it did make the space feel a little fresher and tidier.

In terms of content, I would love some feedback on what you guys would like to see more of here? Are you interested in more process or 'behind the scenes' posts? Life updates? I've gotten the odd request for a hair tutorial or makeup question, and while that's a bit of new territory for me, I'm happy to oblige... Let me know... should I branch out, or just keep on keeping on??

Knitting

DSC_0031

Oh man! This is something I'm insanely proud of! Learning to knit has been a 'bucket list' goal of mine for awhile now, and this past year, with the help of my supremely talented sister, I added it to my repertoire.  In 2014 I made two hats, one sweater (never blogged) and started another sweater. The only bad thing about knitting, as far as I'm concerned, is that it turns me into an insanely obsessive couch creature. Seriously.  I find knitting to be about 1000 x's more addicting than sewing, to the point that it's kind of dangerous. Like, if I'm not careful it might destroy all my personal relationships and land me in some kind of crafter's rehab (that exists, right? It should...)

IMG_1203

I'm itching to finish the sweater I started last fall  - hopefully before spring arrives so I get a chance to wear it! Although I might have already got distracted and started knitting another hat in the meantime. This is something I pretty much never do. I'm actually really hard core about finishing what I've started because I hate having half-finished things lurking about, giving me side-eye. But it felt like the right move this time. Like if I didn't take a break from the sweater than I was going to get officially burnt out, but this still keeps my mind in the knitting world... or something like that... Yeah okay, it wasn't really sound logic... and maybe I was just really excited about the yarn I got for my hat...

IMG_1676_2

My goal going forward with knitting is to average about one or two sweaters a year, depending on the size of the project, and one or two accessories like hats, mittens, or socks.  I think this should be doable... but I also have to stay mindful that I keep balance, or else come spring I might find myself melded to the couch... Another goal is to tackle some color work in the upcoming year! I think this would be a great project for some mittens (maybe these or these would be fun!)

Life and other stuff

One thing that has become a bigger part of my life in the past year is fitness. As someone who has gone out of her way to find ways to not move (surely I'm not the only person who is a champ at picking things up with my toes so I don't have to bend over? And chairs with wheels are heaven sent...Want me to come over there?? Hang on a second... *weeeeeee*!!) this is kind of a big deal.

I was actually pretty okay not being a very active person. I ride my bike at a snails pace the two miles of very flat road to and from work daily, I mean... what do you want from me? But this coming year I'm turning 30. Which is also okay by me. What wasn't okay was the fact that I was starting to feel like I was turning 50. Oy vey! My hip! My knees! My hip and my knees! Couple that with my propensity for shuffling around in my bathrobe and slippers and my fondness for knitting while watching British murder mysteries on Netflix and I felt like my family might start sitting me down for conversations about how they think I might be 'more comfortable' in a retirement home.

IMG_1636_2
My picture game has seriously devolved in this post... 
 So around the end of last summer I began to try to incorporate more movement into my day beyond my half-hearted attempts at yoga, which usually resulted in me laying around in savasana more than actually saluting any suns... I decided I wanted to try, like really try, no excuses, to make fitness a part of my life. I always felt like any attempts at exercise I made previously were always done in the spirit of punishment - like "Holy Cow! You ate all the candy corn again?!?!?! To the treadmill with you!!" So I decided that was the first thing that had to go. I wasn't going to exercise because I felt a little bloated. I was just going to exercise. Every day. No matter what I did or didn't eat, or how my clothes fit. It was just going to be something I do. Like brushing my teeth. Which I know sounds really simple, but it was actually a huge mental shift for me.

I always hesitate writing about any of this on the blog because I don't want to come across as though I've 'figured it all out'. That's not the case. I just felt like I wanted to write it out so I don't forget. And because it's become a part of my life and I like talking about it. So if you're interested in hearing more, I'd be happy to write more, but otherwise - Note to self: Keep working out. You like it. It makes you feel good. It also makes you a much nicer person to be around.

Phew! Long post you guys! The crazy thing is, I could write so much more! But I think I touched on all the highlights.

I hope this didn't bore everyone to tears! Is it too late to wish everyone a Happy New Year? Probably, right? Well whatever....

H
 A
  P
   P
    Y
2
 0
  1
   5
    !

Oh! And I wanted to leave you with this, because... reflections. And Diana. Duh.


xx

53 comments:

  1. I loved this post! It's always comforting to know that other people are having the same internal dramas about meeting goals, saving money, sewing and blogging as I do. Sometimes our blog present such a manicured perspective of life that it seems like everyone else has it all perfectly together! ;) You made beautiful things in 2014 - here to another year of creative outlet, guilt-free blogging (or not blogging), and happy times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My beautiful, loving, smart and funny friend - you've had a great year and it's been a true joy to follow along! You continue to be the honey and sunlight in my rss feed, my feelings for you notwithstanding. And your fitness regime needs to get contagious because this ol' body is falling plain apart. SIgh. Hips and knees, I hear ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. in terms of content like you asked, I think share all the things! I love knitting too and would really like to see what you're working on. I'm jumping an the whole capsule wardrobe/meaningful spending vibe and have been debating knitting the black cardigan that I really need rather than keeping one I bought but don't love love. happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a wonderful blogger!! It's not about how much you post, it's about the amazing clothes and your sweet, funny stories that go along with them. I always think a successful blogger is one who makes you want to be friends in real life, and you are definitely one of those (as is practically everyone else... either I want to be friends with all of humanity or sewers are a special subset up the population!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the post! I like seeing what sewists have done over the year. It reminds me of what I didn't do! Ha.

    By the way - that is one enormous cat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hearing about all the things - sewing may be a common thread but I love to see how it fits in with the rest of life too. I find it helps me understand the why behind a choice in fabric, pattern or style, plus I'm nosey!
    The exercise thing sounds great and I'm curious as to how you've made it work and how it continues to pan out, so I definitely fall in the 'blog all the things' camp! I do have one caveat though - only do it if it feels right! No blogging angst :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to unfollow a lot of lifestyle blogs because I was imagining unfair/unobtainable standards based on how often those bloggers would post. I finally came to the conclusion that no sewing blogger could possibly sew fast enough to write a blog post every. single. day. so why should I feel like a "bad blogger" for not keeping up with the standards of those super popular DIY/Lifestyle blogs? That was stupid of me. The age old saying still holds true about "quality over quantity", which is why your blog will always be amazing no matter how often you post. The stuff you make is INCREDIBLE. Never apologize for being a bad blogger!

    Also, I'm not far from 30 now and every single day I walk around the house all bent over complaining about my aching back and knees and ankles and my tendinitis and I'm pretty sure my grandmother is in better shape than I am on a cardiovascular level. I don't ever have a guilty conscience about what I eat, or how little I move, so I didn't even feel the urge to exercise after Thanksgiving, and I have zero work out resolutions on my New Years to-do list. ...but I should probably change that if I want to be super awesome at stuff in my 70s. I need to get into that same "I just do this every day now" mind set.

    Words of wisdom!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't ever call yourself a bad blogger. Thats mad! It amazes me that you have made so many beautiful clothes this year. Your choices are always so well thought out and I envy your ability to concentrate on one project at a time. Love your style of writing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Comparison... like they say...will steal your joy. None of us should be doing that especially when it comes to our "hobbies". Thanks for the reminder! Good for you for starting to exercise regularly...I don't know what I do without it. Keeps me sane and like you say it also makes me a nicer person.:) I love following your blog and look forward to seeing what you come up with next!! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You aren't a bad blogger just because you don't post every day--in fact, I kind of feel like the people who are constantly churning out new outfits are probably the bad ones because at some point, you have to slow down as your closet fills up (or they aren't owning up to the fact that they don't like most of what they've sewn and it's gone). Otherwise, it's still "fast fashion".

    I feel your pain on several levels. I had forgotten over the last 6 years how much an actual baby costs, so I had to curb my sewing expenditures (not that they were enormous to start with) to the absolute bare-bones this year. And yes to feeling old! I turned 30 last year, and I'm pretty sure that my grandma is in WAY better shape than I am--and she had a kidney transplant a few months ago! I like your idea of just making a workout a thing you do every day. I should figure out something like that too, because even though I love my workout during/after doing it, the "right before" is just really hard. Which probably makes absolutely no sense...

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great post Sallie! And you definitely should not berate yourself for being a "bad blogger". There is no such thing as a bad blogger because there is no "right" way to blog. It's not your job, it's your hobby and you are free to do it whenever you want. So no need to apologize!
    I think it's natural to compare, but I try not too. The reason why I like to sew my own clothes is so that I can be unique and if I compare myself to other sewers and attempt to be like them, then that kind of defeats the purpose - so when I catch myself doing that - I remind myself that I want to be different and unique.
    You have churned out some amazing makes and I can't wait to see what you come up with this year!
    PS: Your are my exercising hero, now excuse me I have to go eat some cake.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post Sallie!


    I feel the same way about blogging. Last year there were lots of changes in my life (all good, though, moving house, changing jobs, and the house renovations) and well, life just got in the way. I figured that instead of worrying and getting all stressed about blogging and sewing, which essentially are my hobbies, I would just take it easy and treat them as such. That mindset made me feel much better :)


    Happy sewing and bloggin in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL! Yes... he is a big boy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really enjoyed this post! I think we can all relate to your thoughts on blogging and also exercise. Oh and knitting, total addict zone!! Can't stop! Keep up the awesome making and writing, no matter the frequency. I look forward to your poastscsit no

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh, yes! The 'right before' a work out is by FAR the hardest for me, too! I whine and complain and shake my fists at the sky the entire time I'm putting on my sports bra, lacing up my sneakers... but then the SECOND I start moving I'm like "this is great!" And the afterwards is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Definitely put aside the "bad blogger" guilt! I much prefer quality over quantity. Too many posts and I start to lose interest, actually. Also good for you to start a fitness routine. The hardest part is getting ready to workout, at least for me! Especially knowing that I'm about to step out into sub freezing temps for my run... Happy 2015 to you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. English Girl at HomeJanuary 17, 2015 at 2:32 PM

    I totally agree that blogging is a hobby & needs to be fun. I tend to set rough goals (often only in my head) but don't worry at all if I don't meet them - that's what I have to do all day at work. I don't want a project plan for my sewing. Love your blog & looking forward to more of the same (amazing makes & photos) this year. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. A great roundup! I'm with you on the knitting - it's marvellously addictive. I'm into year 2 of my addiction and once you acknowledge that the first couple of things you make will likely be absolute horrors it really is a great adjunct to sewing - it's slower, portable creating! Love the red hat!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy 2015 to you too! I always love your blog posts no matter what they are. I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but yours and Peter's (MPB) were the first two blogs I ever discovered...before I even knew what blogging was...duh to me. And....inspired me to do the same! You've had so many fabulous outfits through the year. I think I pretty much loved them all. Although that white leather skirt keeps flashing by in my head, whoa!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post! I think we all have these doubts - trying to keep up with an imagined ideal - completely crazy, as the variety in sewing blogs is part of what makes the SBC so amazing! So my two cents is you should just be yourself, blog when you can, blog about what you want, and have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh. Thank you Debbie! That's incredibly nice to hear, because I admire your style and sewing prowess to no end!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love seeing a post from you pop up in my blog reader because I know you're going to share something beautiful! So my vote is to keep on keepin' on, unless something new sounds more exciting to you. (And thank you for the warning about knitting - I keep thinking I might want to try, but I would probably sequester myself for weeks on end knitting the proverbial one more row.) Anyway, happy 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  23. As you stated above, it's super hard not to compare yourself to others around the blogosphere. For me, that comparison comes with bra making. I see Amy from Cloth Habit killing it with her Watson pattern, Tasia making beautiful bras, Novita showing off her lingerie skills, etc and I think why I am not as good as them? Regardless of whether I'm at their level or not, I should be their biggest cheerleader (which I am), but not put myself beside them to compare. I am me and they are they. Just do my own thang!

    I actually like your blogging schedule. What you do off your blog matters as much as what you do on the blog. Every one of your posts has meaning and wasn't just thrown up for the sake of posting. Or at least that's how it looked on my end!

    Cheers to 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've been enjoying your posts a lot and it's great to give yourself a reality check to see how much has changed in a year. Knitting is also on my to do list, and I'm currently in negotiations with my cats to see which one is going to keep me company while I do it after I saw that great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Don't ever apologise! I love your blog, your writing, and everything you make. Just be "you" and that's perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, and my very best wishes for a wonderful 2015 too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You have voiced everything in my mind in this post! I too find myself comparing myself to other bloggers especially other Aussie bloggers. There are not a lot of us so it's easy to get sucked into why isnt my blog as popular as hers! I used to try and post all the time but since taking a break and returning to blogging I'm realising I'd rather blog less decent posts than lots of filler crap. Blogging and life is a hard balance to find but I'm working on it. I love everything you post so I can't wait to see what 2015 holds for you. Best wishes x

    ReplyDelete
  28. We could all stand to be kinder to ourselves. Thanks for reminding us! As a non-sewer, I obviously love to see your blog pop up for entirely personal reasons. It's like sitting down and having a cozy chat with you, something I painfully miss in my life. As always and forever I wish you peace and happiness in all you do....

    ReplyDelete
  29. been feeling so many things you wrote down in this post (down to knitting addiction.. and daily workout making me nicer person).. loved seing all of your fabulous 22 makes of the year together, what a wonderful collage!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I get insecure when comparing myself to other artists my age and 'I'm not as prolific' and 'why am I sewing clothes and not making sculptures...', it totally bums me out. Your blog is definitely one of my favourites in my rss feed, along with Grainline. I actually would like to read new posts from you and Jen more often but I know that the wait is worth it cause the content is thoughtful and the garments are so darn good. I think the frequency and quality are spot on. Personally I like that your blog reads as a genuine creative outlet rather than a 'sewing rat race' if that makes sense. Embrace slow fashion. I wouldn't mind hearing more about your work at the art gallery cause that's another favourite subject. Oh and on exercise, I'm totally with you there. I'm not yet thirty but feel like my bones are crackly. My 85 year old grandmother goes hiking often and swimming every Wednesday and has done so for years, she is super healthy, meanwhile my other grandma is 68 and complains about her back, which lady do I want to follow? Sitting on my cutting table is the Purl Bee gym shorts pattern. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  31. P.S. Another favourite thing on your blog: your hand dyed fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you Sundari! And I totally get the feeling insecure about not making art thing - that's been a HUGE deal for me over the last few years. I'm glad you like the hand dyed fabric! That's something I hope to bring back in, hopefully, a big way this year, because I love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh that 'one more row'... *shudders* ... it's done me in more late nights than I care to admit!


    Thanks for the kind words, I feel very much the same whenever I see a post from you pop up!

    ReplyDelete
  34. As much as I enjoy your blog, it doesn't bother me that you only write once a month. Rather that than have filler posts because you have to write something every week. So don't feel bad about that, it's the quality that makes you stand out, not the quantity!

    I too find knitting super addictive! I get really obsessed for some reason. But, just a thought: is knitting really another area where you want to set yourself goals? Can't it be just about knitting and doing it whenever you want?

    Happy 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm always happy to read a post from you no matter how frequently and no matter what the content! It's just fun to see what you're up to and hear your thoughts on life. Regarding frequency, I sewed a TON last year, like TONS, but rather than a sign of happy productivity in my hobby, it was probably more indicative of how unfulfilled I was in my work life. I often sewed things just so I would feel like I had something to show for my day! So slower sewing probably means your life is more balanced. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I would steal all your makes. I find you very inspirational and it doesn't matter how often do you blog. The important thing is that you bring so much energy when you do.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Lisa! Thanks for your thoughts. Definitely something to consider with knitting... I do like to go into things with a plan - it helps me avoid 'impulse makes' - but at the same time, not being able to meet hard goals is a total bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  38. man i love your posts. reflect away, beautiful sallie. and do whatever makes you happiest with your blog-- that infamous blogger guilt is a myth made in our own heads.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love your blog, and everything you make. I don't think it matters how often you post, as your posts are always consistently great, and this most recent one is no exception! Thanks for sharing your great projects.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Due to several reasons I was also a bad blogger last year, but things are improving now and I think you're right when you say we shouldn't compare ourselves to other bloggers. We're all unique and it's what makes each of us special.

    I'd really like to incorporate fitness to my daily life as well, but I just hate the treadmill. It would be interesting if you'd share more of this here :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. I totally hear you on the fitness thing. It's so funny how we often resist the very things we know are going to make us feel so good! I feel like I almost constantly talk about it as a reminder to myself, because I've learned in the past it's way too easy to slip out of a good habit. I used to be like, "Hooray, I've worked out consistently for 3 weeks! Now it's going to be easy forever because it's a habit!" but then one week later and I'm on the couch again. I feel like I've finally realized that good habits still take work, and that it will be an actual decision I have to make every single time, but that over time, the excuses will hopefully be overshadowed by the feel-goods so that making the good decision each time is easier and easier.

    And just like you said, for me a huge help was just straight-up making the choice to be consistent. If I leave myself ANY wiggle-room, like "oh man but it's 40 degrees in Austin today" or "oh I have a slight sore throat" or "but I got a bad sleep", then it's way to easy to make an excuse and take a rest day. But if I've already settled on doing it, no matter what, my brain doesn't reach for those excuses as easily! I'm trying to apply this same logic to clean my diet up more, but that's been a little tougher for me.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I really, really love your blog because I a) love your aesthetic. It's kind of exactly how I dress/want to dress b) love that your goal is simply to "dress yourself." When I see something you sew, I believe that you will wear it/are going to wear it/that it will be a wardrobe staple. Some people love party dresses and crazy vintage concoctions and I love reading about those makes, too, but there's something really lovely in seeing how someone outfits themselves in a very accessible way for their day-to-day life. Aspirational.


    To sum it up: You keep doing you, girl. It's working.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm a little late to the party, but that's because I don't check Bloglovin' every day... I love seeing you pop up in my feed and, as others have said before me, couldn't care less whether you post regularly. I always want to read what you have to say and look at what you are making. It is way too easy to feel overwhelmed by the sheer mass of stuff 'published' every waking (and not) minute of the day. How is a normal human being to keep up, and have a regular life? I also appreciate that you make a preponderance of daily clothing, that you wear. I totally relate, as that is my bent as well. Yes, quality over quantity! If you ask me, we all need to slow the fuck down and enjoy what right in front of us.... And just to respond specifically, I loved your dyeing projects! They were (and are) such an inspiration.......

    ReplyDelete
  44. oh yeah...two other things. make sure you stretch out hands, elbows, shoulders, neck periodically during knitting sessions. As one quite a bit older than you who has gone through various bouts of tennis (knitter's) elbow and osteo-arthritis, taking breaks with that much intensive repetitive motion will keep you knitting long into the future pain-free.
    And as for the exercise, I find if I can just get my ass there (to the yoga studio) its always worth it. I have myself brainwashed into a routine (daily as much as possible) that keeps me going.... Pack the yoga bag, grab the mat, drive to class. ALWAYS worth doing....

    ReplyDelete
  45. I know EXACTLY what you mean about always feeling like a bad blogger.. I started my blog about a year ago, and posted fairly regularly.. But I'd still go a month or two sometimes without blogging anything.. I'm really bad about making excuses for not blogging like life and school, but EVERYONE has these things to deal with! I just need to accept that I'm not one of those people who blogs multiple times a week :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thank you Samantha, I'm so glad you like the dyeing projects! I sorely missed not being able to fit them in last year, so I'd like to work on that in a big way this year! Fingers crossed...

    ReplyDelete
  47. You were definitely a big inspiration for me last year Sallie! Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Dear Sallie. You are not a bad BLOGGER!!!! I only joined the sewing blog community recently and yours is my number one favourite blog of all time! Don't be creeped out by this but I loved your blog so much that I read the whole thing word for word from your first post till the most recent, that's how much I loved it. You inspired me to start my own blog and to make my first ever pair of jeans which I'm working on now (Gingers). I wish I could be as good a blogger as you are. Most importantly you seem like a super nice person and that shines through xxx

    ReplyDelete
  49. Oh wow Kate! Thank you so much! That's incredibly heartwarming to hear. I'm so glad I've been able to inspire you, and that you've enjoyed the blog. I absolutely know that feeling of discovering a blog and just devouring every post, and I'm so flattered that I've created that for someone else! Keep sewing and blogging!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Thank you for your honesty - I love it! I just recently (like, 2 weeks ago) started sewing and am inspired by your beautiful work. This has become a big passion in a short time, and I'm so glad that there are lovely, talented people like you out there to look to for inspiration. Rock on, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  51. I Love your post! it is so real! Love it.. love your transparency. :)

    ReplyDelete
  52. I liked this post Sallieoh! I have only been blogging one month, and it took me a year and half to even get that started. I teetered with the comparison thoughts for that year and a half…. your blog and sewing skills are very inspiring, but intimidating at the same time!! Just know that a lot of us are looking up to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  53. Happy (even later) New Year! I'm definitely with you on the bad blogger feelings... in fact, I've left my blog for so long, I think it might have died of neglect! Loved this post and always love seeing your beautiful projects.

    ReplyDelete